In the previous blog we discussed the various types of business models that are available but did you know that apart from those business models, there are additional versions or add-ons that can be added or modified in a business model to meet the business requirements? Yes, any business model can be customized based on the specific industry requirements — this is referred as a disruptive business model. Let's take a few examples to identify the requirements and solutions. Now being a web developer of an ecommerce platform, you need to know this piece of information, just for the simple reason being, that you may have client from various industries, with varied requirements. Knowing this will help you deliver quality products to your clients.
- A business model may be selling t-shirts or accessories or photo frames, but they want to provide their customers with customized products. Now be it a estore or franchise model this feature can be added on to any of the suitable models. This will make a business unique in itself, thereby, attracting a good amount of people. These products can either be gifts, t-shirts, masks, corporate stationary or anything else that can be customized.
- For example, there is a shop which sells t-shirts of different sizes and colors. Now the product type is a lining t-shirt which is available in different sizes such as S, M, L, XL, and XXL. Now these sizes are its variants whereas another shop sells a high quality knife which is only one size, color, and model. That will be a basic version. The basic and variant varieties can be added to any business model.
- There are some businesses that requires certain preparation time after the order has been placed. You need to specify the date and time that you need that product to be delivered to you. A very common example of this is, a cake shop. Obviously, only after you place an order for a cake and specify the date and time of the occasion, the baker will bake your cake and deliver it you in time for your occasion. Here they have a cutoff time, after which you will be able to place the order that day, but it will only get delivered to you the next day. This version is best suited for any business model related to the food & beverage industry.
- A really interesting version is the one that goes with real-time which is mostly used in the industry we all have our eyes on…. Any guesses? The Gold Jewelry industry. Not just the gold industry, but it can also be used in any industry where prices keep fluctuating with the market value and also other different factors like purity, clarity of gem stones, etc. This additional version will make a business model so much more reliable to deal with high value commodities.
- There are online stores that don’t sell any products but rather sell services online or offline but it’s booking can be done online. Some common examples can be numerology, astrology, nutrition and dietician, fitness industry, etc. Any business model can be utilized to sell services by using this version.
- There are businesses that sell a product based on certain calculations. For example a raw wood seller will sell wood to furniture manufacturer based on the size of the wood required that is cost per meter or per square meter. This will require certain calculations to be done in order to quote the total price for the amount of wood the manufacturer requests. This is a calculative version that calculates the price automatically based on pre-defined formulas. This version can also be used in any business models to meet this requirement.
To find out which business model suits your client and how you can make some modifications to that business model, to meet their business requirement, is the first step while planning your project. That will definitely take some time, but knowing what your client requires, gives a web developer that extra boost of confidence. Once you know what they want you just need to start working around that plan. That’s exactly what Storzb does, they have a variety of products revolving around various business models and its versions that can be executed quickly to set up an online store. The best part is that they don’t sell these products to business owners directly, they distribute them through their affiliates and channel partners, who are their registered web developers, advertising agencies, etc. So go check out their website and I will see you next time with my upcoming blog filled with some thought-provoking information.